Stellar Repair for Exchange repairs corrupt Exchange Database (EDB) files & restores mailbox content like emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, public folders, etc. Let’s imagine a situation where the Exchange database (.EDB) goes in Dirty Shutdown state due to a disk corruption reason.
Scenarios for using Stellar Repair for Exchange:
To perform a database repair using Exchange built-in tools, there is the good old ESEUTIL. However, using it in most cases is complex because at the same time it makes the database repair; the process can take too long to finish. This situation forces us to create a temporary database for users and makes a procedure that we call Dial Tone Recovery. The last step is merging the data between the temporary database (Dial Tone) and the database containing the data (which has been corrupted).
Using Stellar Repair for Exchange, this process becomes much easier. Besides, Stellar Repair for Exchange performs an advanced and robust repair; it also gives us the option to export the mailboxes in PST.
Another common scenario in which we can take advantage of Stellar Repair for Exchange is when we need to restore some mailbox, folder, or even just a specific e-mail. Stellar gives us the option to perform a restore in several formats such as: PST, MSG, EML, HTML, RTF and PDF. The restore itself can be performed with the whole mailbox or just granular as you wish.
A third possible scenario is when we no longer have Exchange in our organization. Cases where we only have the database backup saved, and we need to recover some email within that database. In this scenario, Stellar can be extremely useful for retrieving the required data.
Let’s see below in more detail how the recovery and restore process works. In this scenario we have our database in Dirty Shutdown state due to a disk failure:
Exporting an Email:
- We will then copy the DB2 database to a computer that already has Stellar installed and then import it into Stellar:
- Once the database is selected, you will choose between the Quick Scan or Extensive Scan Extensive Scan takes longer, but offers better results. Selecting one of the options will depend on each case. When you need to quickly restore an item, you can try Quick Scan. However, if time is not a problem, Extensive Scan will perform a more robust scan:
- After choosing the Scan Mode, Stellar also offers the option to add a second database, if you want to:
- Once the scan is finished, the list of all the mailboxes within the database will open. We can then navigate between these mailboxes, folders and emails:
- You can choose a specific email and make a granular export in .MSG format, which allows us to open in any Outlook version:
- Let’s choose a patch for the export:
The export procedure is the same for .PST format. However, the product allows only the whole mailbox or a folder to be exported as .PST.
Exporting to Exchange Server:
If the goal is to export a mailbox or folder in .PST and import into some mailbox in Exchange Server, we don’t even have to export. Stellar has built-in engines which allow us to make this export>import in a very easy way:
- There are two options: connect directly to the desired mailbox; you can choose this option as long as you have the credentials of the mailbox that you want to connect to. The second option is to list all mailboxes in the environment using the administrator credential. In the example below, we are going to choose Connect to all mailboxes on server:
- Getting successful connection, Stellar will list all available mailboxes:
Note: In order to show the available mailboxes as “Connected”, the administrator credential must have Full Access permission in the mailboxes. Otherwise, the status will show as “Disconnected”.
- Select the desired mailbox for the export, and the process will start:
Exporting to Office 365:
Like the export option for Exchange Server which we just saw above, we also have the possibility of doing the same export to Exchange Online. The process is even simpler, will require the user and password of the Exchange Online mailbox:
Stellar is an easy-to-use tool, at first it seems like it has few options, but in fact all that we need for EDB recovery and restore is within this tool. The product is very stable, provides a simple and intuitive user experience, and the most important, it fulfills its intended purpose. Besides, you can test the repair with the trial version before purchase the product.
For more information, visit the Stellar website: https://www.stellarinfo.com/edb-exchange-server-recovery.htm